- Getting Started
- Policy & Guidelines
- MSU Web Accessibility Policy
- Technical Guidelines
- Five Year Plans
- Annual Self-Review
- Purchasing Workflow
- Digital Content Guidelines
- Year Four Self-Review Memo
- ADA Web Audit Team
- Year Five Self-Review Memo
- Accessibility Basics
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- MathType for Equations
- Mathematical Expressions & MathML in Desire2Learn
- D2L Course Accessibility
- Accessible PDFs
- Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Publisher (Windows)
- Hiring a Third Party Captioning Service
- Creating Your Own Captions
- Uploading a Video to Kaltura Mediaspace
- Attaching a Caption File to Kaltura Mediaspace
- Google Drive Documents
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Zoom Live Transcript
- Help & Resources
- A Guide for Captioning Video
- Captioning Resources
- Classes & Workshops
- Basic Checklist: Online Content Accessibility
- Evaluation & Validation
- Web Accessibility Policy Liaisons
- Course Accessibility Badge and Course Accessibility Review
- Prioritization Guidance
- Faculty Accessibility Questions about Digital Content
- Spartan Ally
- WAPL Schedule
- Report an Accessibility Problem
- IT Next Conference
Zoom Live Transcript
Zoom Live Transcript is an accessibility feature available under all MSU Zoom accounts that allows hosts to enable live machine generated captions and transcripts during Zoom Meetings and Webinars. Zoom uses the Otter.ai caption engine to generate live transcripts and captions.
When activated during your meeting or webinar Zoom Live Transcript gives attendees the option to view live captions in the form of automatically generated subtitles and a full running transcript of the session.
- Provides live transcripts and captioning during Zoom Meetings and Webinars.
- When used with Zoom Cloud Recording, copies of your meeting/webinar transcript and caption files are automatically uploaded to Kaltura MediaSpace and associated with your recordings.
- Caption/Transcript files uploaded to Kaltura MediaSpace can be corrected using the caption editor.
- Machine generated captions are typically not 100% accurate.
- To view captions and transcripts the live transcript function must be activated by the host for each meeting or webinar. There is currently no option to enable this feature by default.
Enabling Live Transcripts
During your Meeting or Webinar
- Start your Meeting or Webinar.
- Click the Live Transcript button on your Zoom menu bar and choose Enable Auto-Transcription to activate live transcription and subtitles.
Note: If you do not have the Live Transcript button please see instructions below for activating Captions and Live Transcript under your account settings.
- Once transcription has been enabled you can view additional options by clicking the Live Transcript up-arrow
- Hide Subtitle: allows users to turn subtitles on and off
- View Full Transcript: opens a separate pane displaying live transcripts with speaker names and timestamps.
- Subtitle Settings: allows users to adjust the size of subtitles on their screen.
Activating Captions and Live Transcript for your Account
If you do not see the Live Transcript button on your Zoom menu when hosting a Meeting or Webinar please follow these steps to activate the feature under your account:
- Open the MSU Zoom website (opens in new window).
- Log in using your MSU credentials.
- Click Settings in the left menu.
- Click In Meeting (Advanced) and scroll down to Automated captions
- Make sure the Automated captions and Full transcript options are active/enabled (slider should be to the right and colored blue)